4 cups macaroni
8 tbsp butter
2 medium onions thinly sliced
10 slices bacon
1 tbsp bacon grease (reserved from cooking above bacon)
¼ cups flour
2 cups whole milk
½ cups half & half
2 egg yolks, beaten
salt and pepper to taste
½ cups grated gruyere cheese
½ cups grated fontina cheese
½ cups grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
4 oz soft goat cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Boil macaroni for half the time of package instructions. Drain and set aside.
3. Fry bacon until slightly, but not overly, crispy. Drain on a paper towel. Reserve grease.
4. Melt 4 tbs of butter in skillet and saute onions for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown and soft. Set aside.
5. In a pot, melt 4 tbs of butter and reserved bacon grease and whisk in flour. Stir for 1 minute over medium heat. Add milk and half & half and cook for 3-5 minutes until thick.
6.Beat egg yolks and drizzle 1/4 cup hot mixture into the yolks, stirring constantly. Pour egg mixture into sauce and cook for another minute. Add cheeses and stir until melted. Add onions and bacon and stir. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add cooked macaroni and stir to coat.
7. Pour into a baking dish and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until sizzling and hot.
I am making this the first chance I get! Doesn't it sound dangerously delicious?