I made these cookies the other day (recipe taken from the Barefoot Contessa) and they were to die for! They had just the right amount of spice and holiday cheer. Here's what I did...
2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup unsulfured molasses
1.Mix brown sugar, oil and molasses until sticky.
2. Add the egg and beat for a minute.
3. Add spices, baking soda, salt, and freshly ground ginger and mix.
4. Slowly add the flour in small increments. The batter gets really thick and starts to ball up.
5. Crush the batter together and roll into little balls.
6. Roll each one in sugar.
7. Bake at 350 for 13 minutes.
Pssst... the secret ingredient is the fresh ginger. It gives them just the right snap, so don't skimp on it!